1. the angel monitor - best. monitor. ever. it has a sensor that monitors the baby's heartbeat. we thought about getting the video monitor but all of our friends that have it don't have peace of mind. the angel monitor gives us peace of mind! thanks to aunt becky for our angel monitor.
2. the moby - at first, i was a little intimidated by all the fabric. but with a little practice, it became an absolute life saver. mc loved it! he fell asleep in it anywhere and everywhere. the grocery store. the mall. picnics. the zoo. baby showers. happy hours. it was most helpful when sleep training, it calmed him down when nothing else would. we have the 'baby bjorn' thing but mc preferred the moby. thanks to ellee for our moby. we love it!
3. twelve hours' sleep by twelve weeks old - the first milestone you want your baby to reach and as soon as possible....is to sleep through the night. there are a lot of books out there about sleep training. we chose this book b/c mc's best buddy, tristan, is a great sleeper and this is the book his parents recommended. another plus about this book is, it's short and to the point. mc started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks old and we have this book to thank!
4. medela breast pump - one of my main goals as a mom was to breastfeed. but as a lot of mom's have experienced, it's very challenging and very frustrating. mc and i would agree with these moms. as much as i wanted it to be successful, it wasn't. i ended up renting the medela hospital grade breast pump (aka the bentley of breast pumps) for the first two weeks to get my milk supply up. one of the hardest things i've ever had to do was return her. i orginally registered for the avent b.p. but after using the hospital's medela i had to return the avent and get the medela. thanks to my mom for our b.p.!
5. a sound machine - for sleep training purposes and because your little probably prefers it. he or she has been listening to your heartbeat and your ambiotic fluids (gross) swirling around for nine months. so complete silence is foreign to them.
6. swaddles - not all babies prefer to be swaddled but mc did. now that mc is rolling over and sleeping on his tummy, he sleeps in a sleep sack.
7. a swing, a playmat and an exersaucer- we have this swing- thanks to my sister! he used it all the time until he was about 5 months old/16 lbs. once he started using the exersaucer, he didn't want to be in the swing anymore. the exersaucer is a hand-me-down that we use at marmee's. and his playmat, thanks to tj, ellen and teddy. he has used it since he was about 2 weeks old and he's almost 7 months and he still loves it.
8. onesies with hand covers and jammies with zippers instead of snaps. mc loved to have his hands up by his face and i was terrified of clipping his fingernails, so he would scratch his face. hence, the onesies with hand covers. also, jammies with zippers instead of snaps for those middle of the night feedings and diaper changes. these are a must as well! we love targets $5 items and clearance rack. also, tj maxx, ross and marshall's have great deals on carters outfits. i've seen a pack of 5 onesies (carter's brand) at babies r us for $19.99 and that same pack of onesies at tj maxx for $9.99! we LOVE burlington coat factory as well. they have great deals on everything from onesies to breast pumps!
9. for mc's baby shower, our friends and family decorated burp clothes. we love them so much! they are a constant reminder of all the love for us and mc, especially during those long sleepless nights.
10. watch 'babies' a documentary about one year in the life of four babies from around the world, from Mongolia to Namibia to San Francisco to Tokyo. after watching it, i realized i don't need any of the above items.
what are some of your must have baby items?
hugs and kisses~s, m, mc, b, b, t, m, m, b, n, bc and t